Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My 1st BJJ competition experience. Part 2.

A continuation from a previous post. Sorry it took so long to update the 2nd part of the competition but as promised, here's the post. :)

So I waited till the rules briefing by the organiser & they basically explained how the grappling point system works in the competition. It was actually the 1st time I got an idea how grappling competitions work here... a takedown is 2 points, mounting an opponent for 4 seconds was 4 points & etc...
The competition had many other competing clubs, just to name a few: Borneo BJJ, Brunei BJJ, Studio 23, Sabah Judo & others.

The competition were split via weight classes; in gi or no-gi, male / female & kids. There is also the "absolute" category which means open to all regardless of what weight class you were.



I participated in the no-gi competition & since I couldn't afford a rashguard, I actually brought in a surf suit instead (hey atleast it gets the job done) & only had my Muay Thai shorts since I don't have MMA pants.

My 1st opponent was a John Lee, guy from Brunei BJJ. He was taller & lankier than I was. Here's the video on the match outcome:



I manage to get my opponent's back but since I couldn't find the right space to sink in (either that or he just wasn't tapping) I decided to let go the choke & go for scoring instead. I guess because of the "scoring" system I had that option to win instead of just via submittion.

My 2nd match was pit against a very young Hanafi who was a 16 year old from BJJ Borneo. I was watching his match when he competed in the gi-category & I have to say I was very impressed with his explosive move & dexterity. This match against him wasn't going to be easy.



I lost via points (I believe it was during the triangle attempt he got me), he had a really strong guard & I obviously haven't work on my guard pass game. In fact even at the end of everything my ribs were hurting from the crushing pressure of his guard. It made me realise that I don't know much about guard passing & I should really work on it.

I had 1 more match after that to determine if I had a chance on getting the bronze.

No idea who my 3rd opponent was & which gym he was from but I did know 1 thing... ... ... that he was very tired. I on the other hand still had a full tank, so I decided to be aggressive.



The majority of this match had him avoiding me except for 1 take down attempt from him that I did not see it coming. I think despite my numerous take down attempts, it showed I wasn't doing it right. He got a penalty for avoiding me too much & got disqualified for holding to my shorts (& revealing half my ass... lucky my underwear was the same color to my shorts... strange... but I actually sort guess this would happen).

I won the bronze but did not stay to the prize ceremony as I had to rush to my sister-in-law's wedding. I collected my bronze medal a few days after, but better than the prize was the experience I got from this event. This was my 1st BJJ competition & thanks to it, I realise I have a ton to improve on.

Cheers to the organisers for hosting this event! This is Julian signing out. :)

3 comments:

  1. Hey, your first BJJ competition and you get a bronze medal. Not bad bro. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah...that dude kept 'placing' his fingers on your eyes and tho he did nothing...i deemed that dangerous cause if anything goes wrong...not sure if Fara would forgive me. ;-)

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didnt get his name. Who is he by the way?

      No big damage, small scratch in the end of the match but its part of the sport i guess. :)

      Delete