Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My RED DRAGON Thai Pads & Mongkhon.

I was at the Wes Jaya seminar last Saturday & Sunday and will put the post up soon. In the mean time, I'm happy to receive 2 special gifts on Saturday.




The 1st being a pair of "RED DRAGON" Thai pads given to me by Master Khoo Meng Yang of TNT Kickboxing gym. Mr. Alvin who came from Labuan to accompany Wes Jaya brought and presented them to me on behalf of Master Khoo.






The reason I was presented these Thai pads was because I scored the 2nd highest mark during the ISKA Level 1 examination while I was in Labuan. The news was very encouraging!




The 1st place went to Aiman of Borneo Combat Gym who scored 0.5 marks more than me! A really close score & he opted for a pair of "RED DRAGON" boxing gloves (which was lucky for me, since I really wanted the Thai Pads more than the gloves hehe).




I was also noted that the 3rd place of the exam was also 0.5 marks from me! I guess the 3 of us were very close competition to each other. Armed with these new Thai Pads, I hope I can give better quality coaching to my students & help them in training as how my coaches helped me.

***

I also got another gift from another master of mine.Kru Azman Abdul, my mentor from Muay Thai Naga Api has awarded me, my friend Rudy & Kyo a Mongkhon.





What is a Mongkhon?

The Mongkong is a traditional headpiece circlet worn by Muay Thai fighters when they enter the ring, and an intregal part of the Muay Thai culture. Each gym or camp has a Mongkong that represents the spirit and strength of the gym and it’s master instructor. It is warn on the head to bring prosperity and good fortune while warding away danger and injury.


According to Thai tradition and beliefs, how the Mongkongs were made varied according to the practice of the master instructor. When Thailand was still named Siam, the belief was that the Siamese warriors tied a bandana-like cloth around their heads before engaging in battle. They would often chant Buddhist incantations like “Gam Baan Nak Muen” which meant “the clenched-fist weighing many thousands.” This began the tradition of the master instructors making and passing on a Mongkong to his student. Muay Thai fighters would often chant the incantation while getting a tattoo as it was believed to bring good fortune and honorable victories.

- Description copied from Tiger Muay Thai website. (They spell it as Mongkong in the site, but its pronounce Mongkhon).

We got our Mongkhon because of our 1st exhibition fight with Kyokushin & Pesilat fighters in Sandakan at May this year (maybe I will have a recap post on that one soon).





Some might find the Mongkhon as a simple gift but to Nak Muays, it is something that symbolizes our Kru's confidence on us.

Put it simply: "You don't get to choose a Mongkhon, your Kru picks a Mongkhon for you".




You can call it an equivalent of a Karate student getting his belt from his sensei.

July 9th 2011, was indeed a happy day for me receiving 2 gifts from both my Krus.

2 comments:

  1. Well done bro, so proud of you for coming this far in such a short time. I can still remember vividly the first time I visited you during your sparring session at the stairwell of Likas Complex. How things have changed since then.

    And thanks partly to you, I managed to master the determination and motivation to get back into shape; something I could never have done without support from you, and other friends enthusiastic about living a healthy and fit lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nex,

    But I think this would all not happen had I not meet Nazim, who later brought all these other coaches, and then there was Alvin of Borneo Combat... then Master Khoo... There's still so much more I want to learn!

    But honestly its the fact that people like you who enjoy the training that keeps me motivated, that I must 1st do better so that I can help you guys more.

    But honestly I think you are doing great bro! You are so much fitter and more confident than the Nex I knew 2 years back too! Health is now a lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete